Blog readers have requested more updates on Sierra Club programs, so I hereby present an introduction into the Club's coal work.
The Sierra Club's "Move Beyond Coal" Campaign aims to eliminate one-third of the nation's global warming emissions, by:
- Challenging new coal plants across the country.
- Increasing efforts to retire the dirtiest old power plants.
- Addressing the entire coal cycle, including mountaintop removal mining and its devastating impact on communities.
- Educating investors and conducting shareholder advocacy to drive investment away from coal and into clean energy alternatives.
- Stepping up efforts to support clean energy solutions.
- Strengthening relationships with the public and a variety of coalitions to address coal as it relates to the environment, public health and the economy.