The North Carolina Chapter of the Sierra Club will be sponsoring several events within the coming month, and we encourage you to come on out and participate! Bring a friend and come check out the following events with your fellow environmental enthusiasts:
- Monday April 18, 6:30-7:30pm: Sustainable Beer Happy Hour, Fullsteam Brewery (sponsored by Sierra Club & the Society of Conservation Biologists, Triangle Chapter.) Fullsteam founder/local beer activist Sean Wilson will join us to answer your questions about sustainable brewing. If you have an interest in the local beer community or the environmental impacts of what you drink, our Q&A with Sean will be a great opportunity to learn more-- while drinking tasty beer and meeting neat people!
- Tuesday, April 19, 7-8:30pm: "Defending Our Environment" Panel + Q&A, Carolina Student Union, Room 3205 (sponsored by the Sierra Student Coalition.) Learn about the history of the EPA, how current events will impact our progress on environmental issues, and what's going on now in Washington and in Raleigh as lawmakers take apart decades of bipartisan legislation defending our environment. Featuring Sierra Club's superstar lobbyist Will Morgan(!!!), as well as Pete Andrews (UNC Public Policy), Donald Hornstein (UNC Law), Derb Carter (Southern Environmental Law Center), Pricey Harrison (NC General Assembly, D- Greensboro). Free food catered by Med Deli.
- Thursday, April 21, 1-3pm: NC General Assembly Regulatory Reform Hearing, Legislative Building Auditorium (16 W. Jones Street; Raleigh, NC 27601). The NC General Assembly has held hearings across the state to solicit suggestions for getting rid of bills that "kill jobs." Celebrate John Muir's 173rd by speaking out in support of North Carolina's environmental and public health protections. We'll have talking points for folks to use, and after the hearing, we'll head over to the Busy Bee Cafe for drinks and food to say "Cheers" to Mr. Muir.
- Thursday, April 21, 7-8pm: Presentation on Offshore Wind at the Capital Group Meeting, Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Raleigh (3313 Wade Avenue Raleigh, NC 27607.) Make a day out of your trip to Raleigh, and come hear Jen Banks (NC Solar Center) and Mac Montgomery (former mayor of Kure Beach and member of the Governor's Offshore Energy Panel) discuss the incredible potential for offshore wind energy in NC. Wine and cheese provided.
- Sunday, May 1, 12-5pm: Durham Earth Day Festival, Durham Central Park (201 Foster St.) Come visit the NC Sierra Club's booth at the Durham Earth Day Festival. We'll be getting postcard petitions to Jim Rogers (Duke Energy) and Bill Johnson (Progress Energy) signed in support of offshore wind, and giving out our snazzy new "First in Flight, First in Wind" bumper stickers.